Congestion levels expected to soar by 33%
20 January 2012
Inrix, a provider of real-time traffic information and connected driving services, has released its summer traffic predictions in its Traffic Congestion Report.
Londoners will face increased traffic congestion of 33% and core routes will slow to just 12mph in late July and early August. The first three days of the event pose the greatest risk of traffic troubles. The Olympic opening ceremony on Friday, July 27, clashes with one of the busiest holiday getaway weekends of the summer when traffic levels are already around 30% above average. This event is followed in quick succession by the Men’s Road Cycling Race, which will close thousands of roads throughout southwest London and Surrey. A trial event for the race in August 2011 resulted in traffic chaos, when journeys of just a few miles took several hours and some drivers were forced to abandon their cars, says Inrix.
Inrix lead scientist and traffic analyst Greg Hallsworth explained why the weekend of July 27, 28 and 29 will be so challenging. “Traditionally this is one of the busiest holiday getaway weekends of the year, combine this with the Olympic opening ceremony and the Men’s road cycling race and we could have the perfect traffic storm,” he said. “Nearly 100,000 ticket-holders are expected at the opening ceremony, with tens of thousands of visitors anticipated at the live sites at Hyde Park and Victoria Park. Couple this with the thousands of roads closed for the Men’s Road Cycling event and the result is huge stress on the UK’s road networks.”
The Inrix Traffic Congestion Report predicts that journeys with an average travel time of one hour will take at least 12 additional minutes throughout Greater London for the duration of the Games. Journeys through routes identified as Games hotspots such as Vauxhall Bridge and the Blackwall Tunnel will take at least 15 minutes longer and people travelling on the Core Games Network should plan for at least 20 minutes more for their journey. Based on its free-flow to congestion model, Inrix predicts that in early August the start time for daily congested periods will move forward by as much as 90 minutes, with morning peak traffic hitting at 5.30am from 7am and evening peak traffic hitting as early as 3.30pm, rather than 5pm.
However, evening traffic congestion may ease by 6pm rather than 7.30pm as people head to meeting places to watch events on TV. Combined with rush hour traffic, Londoners should also anticipate increased traffic around lunchtime as venues clear and refill between sessions - adding an anticipated nine minutes to standard lunchtime travel times.
To help minimise Central London traffic, it is hoped that 80% of visitors to the main Games park will arrive by public transport, using park and ride schemes that have capacity for 18,000 vehicles in Essex and 9,000 in Ebbsfleet. However, with major shopping centre Lakeside, claiming half a million shoppers weekly, next to the Essex site, and both sites adjacent to the M25, one of the UK’s most congested routes, traffic trouble will be near impossible to avert. This congestion risk is compounded by the fact that entrance into the park and ride sites is ticket-only - any people with misplaced tickets will unfortunately add to the resultant tailbacks and could cause a domino effect onto the already congested M25.
Hallsworth added: “UK holiday routes are busier in July and August but in holiday periods, commuting routes are naturally quieter. This will assist the London travel network and planners are also hoping for some additional capacity as commuters change their travel routines. To minimise gridlocks, we advise commuters to build travel schedules around quieter periods where possible. Despite this generally being a quieter time of year, Londoners need to be prepared for a huge volume of traffic in the City that they are unlikely to have experienced previously.”
Nissan and Renault welcome EV grant extension
20 January 2012
Renault and Nissan have welcomed the news that the Government has decided to extend the electric vehicle grant scheme, which offers fleets thousands of pounds off the purchase price of an ultra-low emission vehicle.
The Government has confirmed that the Plug-In Car Grant, which offers electric car buyers up to £5,000 (25% of the vehicle cost), will be funded until 2015. However, Transport Minister Norman Baker and Business Minister Mark Prisk also announced that for the first time buyers will now be able to receive 20%, up to £8,000, off the cost of an electric van.
With its 100% electric Kangoo Van ZE, which was launched one month ago and is set to be joined by three electric cars before the autumn of 2012, Renault says it is in a prime position to make the most of this latest boost for low-emission driving. It says its already keenly priced Kangoo Van ZE, costing from £16,990 excluding VAT and monthly battery hire, would become even more affordable, from just £13,592, putting it within only £1,000 of its diesel counterpart.
The Government announcement also comes at a time when Nissan is conducting real-world tests of a prototype zero-emission all-electric delivery vehicle in London. FedEx Express and Nissan are collaborating over a two month period to evaluate how the NV200 electric vehicle (EV) prototype copes with the rigours of daily duties in the capital.
James Wright, managing director at Nissan Motor (GB), said: "Today's announcement reinforces the Government's commitment to improving air quality in cities and reducing carbon emissions. This grant, coupled with lower running costs and tax benefits, will make switching to an electric van a very attractive option for businesses."
The Nissan Leaf, on sale since March 2011, qualifies for the £5,000 grant for electric cars. The electric version of the NV200 van, which will be produced in Japan, will go on sale later in 2012.
Renault said it will be applying to be part of the Plug-In Van Grant before the scheme's application deadline of January 31, 2012, after which it is believed further details on the scheme's extension to vans are likely to be released by the Department for Transport.
Andy Heiron, head of Electric Vehicle Programme, Renault UK, said, "Having actively lobbied for the inclusion of commercial vehicles in the Plug-In Car Grant scheme over the past year, we're delighted that the Government has acted and made this announcement. This addresses the big question that many customers and industry commentators have been asking us for many months and I think we can expect to see a surge in demand.”
Minister unveils EV rapid charging station
18 January 2012
Transport minister Norman Baker MP was in Retford to unveil the UK’s first privately-owned Direct Current (DC) rapid-charging station for electric vehicles.
The publicly available station, which can recharge an EV battery in as little as half an hour, has been installed at the headquarters of family-run printing company RCS in Retford, Nottinghamshire, just 5 miles from the A1. An example of a private-public partnership, it was bought by RCS with financial support from the government-backed Plugged-in Places project, being delivered in the Midlands (as Plugged-in Midlands) by Cenex and Central Technology Belt. Delivered and installed by ABB, the Terra 51 DC station is part of the Plugged-in Midlands network of charging points that are currently being installed across the East and West Midlands.
Baker said: “Our strategy to increase electric vehicle adoption is clear – encouraging motorists to switch through provision of a comprehensive, accessible infrastructure of charging points operated by both the public and private sectors. The installation of this advanced, DC charging station at RCS will not only make it easier and faster for Electric Vehicle owners to recharge away from home, but demonstrates how the Plugged-in Places programme is helping to stimulate private investment in vital infrastructure.”
Mike Todd, managing director of RCS, said: “This new rapid charging point is the next step in our own environmental programme, and provides a convenient addition to the charging infrastructure, close to the A1, for motorists and companies that have embraced Electric Vehicles.”
Plugged-in Midlands, a consortium of Midlands-based businesses and local authorities led by Cenex and Central Technology Belt, has been created to provide the infrastructure necessary to support and encourage electric vehicle adoption. In December 2010 it secured up to £2.9 million of funding from the Government to support a £6.3 million programme which plans to install more than 500 charge posts in high profile locations, including shopping centres and railway stations, across both the East and West Midlands.
Government launches hydrogen project
18 January 2012
International companies from the utility, gas, infrastructure and car manufacturing sectors are joining with the Government to launch a joint project to look at the potential for hydrogen transport to deliver economic and carbon reduction benefits in this country.
UK H2Mobility will look at what’s needed to make the UK a serious global player in the manufacturing and use of hydrogen fuel cell electric vehicles before developing an action plan for an anticipated roll-out to consumers in 2014/15. The project will be launched in London today (January 18) and Vauxhall will be unveiling its 4th generation hydrogen fuel cell vehicle HydroGen4. Vauxhall says that hydrogen fuel cell vehicles combine the advantages of electric propulsion, with the convenience of fast fuelling and long range, thereby playing an important role in its alternative propulsion portfolio.
GM/Vauxhall have been investing in research and development of hydrogen fuel cell technologies for over a decade. Supported by an extensive test fleet in Europe and the US with over 100 fuel cell vehicles logging around 2 million miles since 2008, Vauxhall expects the technology to be ready for market introduction by 2016. Bill Parfitt, Vauxhall Motors’ director for Government Affairs and Public Policy, said: “Following our company’s unrelenting focus on hydrogen fuel cell technology development, the launch and successful roll-out of these vehicles will now depend on the availability of hydrogen to the consumer in a real life environment. We therefore greatly appreciate this very timely initiative, gathering various stakeholders, under government lead, to establish an adequate strategy for future hydrogen development in the UK.”
Project infrastructure spokesman Kevin Michaelis, who is regional vice president of Liquid Bulk/Generated Gases–Europe, Air Products, said: “This project brings together the leading hydrogen infrastructure providers, at the forefront of deployment worldwide, with the common goal of supporting the rollout of hydrogen transport across the United Kingdom. The hydrogen infrastructure sector has been working over a number of years to develop hydrogen transport in the UK. We are very pleased that the progress made is being recognised by the Government in this groundbreaking initiative that will shift the focus from R&D to deployment of hydrogen infrastructure. Working together with Government and leading car manufacturers we can support the creation of a hydrogen transport infrastructure that will dramatically cut harmful vehicle emissions and move the UK towards a zero carbon transport system.”
VW Up! Wins top What Car? title
17 January 2012
Volkswagen's new Up! city car has been named What Car? Car of the Year 2012. The new BMW 3 series was declared the best executive car, and the Audi A1 was named best supermini. Kia was recognised for the low fuel consumption of its vehicles.